This article is incomplete & needs to be reviewed. You can help by creating a pull request.
To use the iOS version of the OsmAnd app in CarPlay, you have to purchase a paid subscription.
Driving a vehicle and using your phone or tablet at the same time is usually forbidden by law for safety reasons. CarPlay is software that puts an adapted version of the OsmAnd application on the display of your vehicle's multimedia system, making it easier and safer to access the navigation functions of the application without using your hands.
To use CarPlay on your vehicle's screen, follow these steps:
- CarPlay is not available in all countries. Make sure it is supported in your country or region and that CarPlay is supported in your vehicle model.
- Connect your device to your vehicle's multimedia system using a USB port or wirelessly with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. When connecting for the first time, you may need permission to use CarPlay on your device.
- Once connected, the CarPlay interface will automatically appear on your vehicle screen with all available apps. If the CarPlay home screen does not appear, select the CarPlay logo on the vehicle display.
First, you need to select and configure the profile to be used when connecting to CarPlay. You can read how to configure a profile in the article Profiles (Settings). A convenient profile for using CarPlay can be Driving, and the type of routing can be Car routing. For quick access to the list of profiles available for connecting to CarPlay OsmAnd has a separate item Menu → Settings → OsmAnd Settings → CarPlay Profile. Also.
- For OsmAnd to work, connect your iOS device to the vehicle's multimedia system. To find out more about how to connect and set up your device, you can visit the CarPlay website.
- You need to have one of OsmAnd Paid subscriptions. Check it here Menu → Settings → Purchases.
- Once connected, you can set a destination and start OsmAnd navigation in CarPlay.
- To create a route, you need to choose the route endpoint on the CarPlay screen or in the OsmAnd app.
- You can use voice prompts to listen for directions or messages about issues on the road.
- After you select a location, press Start to follow the route.
- As you drive, the vehicle screen will display OsmAnd information about your current location on the map, driving directions, distance to the next turn, and arrival time at your destination.
- If you want to change your route or select a different location, you can press the appropriate button on the screen.
- Once you have completed your route, you can deactivate CarPlay by disconnecting the device from your vehicle's multimedia system.
All categories for route endpoint selection, History, POIs, Markers, Search, Favourites, and Tracks may contain no more list items than your vehicle's multimedia system provides. Typically in most vehicles, lists are dynamically limited to 12 or 24 items. This means that the list in CarPlay may not be complete. The total number of items and the actual number of items displayed is indicated under the folder name.
Interaction with the map
Most OsmAnd settings directly related to navigation are available in CarPlay. Interaction with the map is limited to My Location and Zoom.
Select a route endpoint
You can select previously preset and added Markers, Favorites, or POIs as a destination point. It is also possible to select a recorded or downloaded Track for the route, use the Search, or select a destination from the route history.
- Select the necessary category from the user points: POI categories, Map markers or Favorites and Tracks.
- In the folder list that opens, select the needed one. A list of just 12 or 24 folders is available, the number depends on your vehicle's multimedia system. All other folders are only available in the app on your phone or tablet.
- The Last modified folder contains a list of recent destinations, sorted by date added or changed.
- The list of all other folders is sorted by the most recent update, new folders are at the top of the list. It is not possible to change their order manually.
- The list of points within folders is sorted by the distance to them, starting with the nearest. Each point has a name or coordinates, a shaped icon (color and icon set by default or chosen by you in the OsmAnd application), as well as the distance from the point of the current location to it.
- Select the History category to find one of the recent destinations that are stored in the device's memory.
- Select Address Search to enter a destination from the available search categories.
While driving, selected points can be announced when you approach or pass them. See the Voice prompts settings in the appropriate article to set up voice notifications.
Through the Navigation menu in Car Play, you can select the end point of the route, without any ability to add intermediate destinations.
In the History category, you can select a destination from a list of endpoints. They are sorted by most recent use, starting with the newest. This can be convenient for quick access to frequently used routes. To learn how to use or delete a destination, read the Search History article.
POIs (points of interest) are a type of points that are highlighted on the map by special icons provided in the OsmAnd settings and sorted into groups.
To build a route to a POI in CarPlay, follow these steps:
- Select the needed POI from the list of available categories or enter the name of the POI using Search.
- OsmAnd calculates the route and displays it on the CarPlay screen. Tap Start button to start navigating to that location.
- Depending on your OsmAnd app settings and your vehicle, you may receive voice prompts to guide you to your destination.
- When you arrive at the location, the app will notify you that you have reached the POI.
To use markers in CarPlay for navigation, they need to be added in advance in the OsmAnd app on your device, tablet or phone, and they need to be available in the Menu → Map marker list.
Favorites is one of the functions of OsmAnd that allows the user to make a kind of bookmarks (notes) on the map. While using CarPlay you cannot add or modify Favorites, only use existing ones. The list of Favorites can be found in the OsmAnd app Menu → My Places → Favorites. If you want to use them for navigation, configure everything you need before connecting the device to your vehicle's multimedia system.
It is better not to choose tracks that are obviously far away from your current location. It can take a long time to get to the starting point of the track.
From the list of tracks available in the OsmAnd app in Menu → My Places → Tracks, you can select the necessary one in the CarPlay list or on the device connected to the vehicle's multimedia system. The route will either build up to the start of the track or display the current direction along the track.
With this option, you can search for the necessary places on the map to navigate. For convenience, you can search by different categories.
- Address search - enter the needed address in the search field.
- POI search - search by Point of Interest names.
- Custom search - search by the categories you created.
- History search - displays your whole search history.
- Coordinate search - suggests different formats of coordinates.
In OsmAnd, you can configure voice prompts for the selected profile. Do this before you start your route on your device, tablet, or phone, as you will not be able to do this on your vehicle screen. For how to do this, see the article Voice prompts / Notifications. To see recommended settings for CarPlay, click here.
Announce incoming text messages
You can change the notification settings for the OsmAnd app in the system settings of your device. Tap CarPlay, then select one of the following items:
- Announce New Messages.
- Silence New Messages.
- Remember Previous Setting.
You can also enable or disable Announce messages directly in CarPlay. Read about how notification management is implemented on iOS and CarPlay.
Screen Alert widget
This widget combines alert types such as Pedestrian crosswalks and Speed Limit.
You can set them up by going to Menu → Settings → Configure profile → Navigation settings → Screen alerts.
You can change the viewing angle for the 2.5D view of the map on your vehicle's multimedia system screen.
The Car Play dashboard will soon be able to display and use the OsmAnd navigation app at the same time as music, messages or other notification apps.
Volume control issue
In most cases, all signals remain at constant full volume, separate from the audio playback settings at the same time. To change the volume of the OsmAnd navigation prompts when using CarPlay, go to Setup → Voice → Voice volume on the vehicle's multimedia system screen.
If this method does not work, there is another option. To adjust the notification volume, you need to turn on Siri during a call. Hold down the button on the steering wheel that turns on Siri, and during the call, adjust the volume using the dashboard or steering wheel.