Measure distance (only for Android version)
The 'Measure distance' feature allows you to measure distances on the map, create GPX tracks or add new segments to your own ones. This interface has replaced the older 'Distance measurement' plugin. We've added new functions and created a completely new look for the utmost convenience.
To use this feature, simply go to the main OsmAnd menu and press 'Measure distance'. You'll see the map with a toolbar below. Start by putting the first point on the map and adding the next ones (one or more). To do that, press the 'Add button' or just touch a spot on the map. You'll see the total distance on the toolbar. You can also undo or redo the steps using the arrow buttons.
After you've done adding points, press 'Options'. There, you can try several convenient features:
- Snap to road – this function creates a route using all your points. You can set the car, bicycle or pedestrian mode, as usual
- Save as new GPX track – allows you to save your measurements as a set of points or a line
- Add to a GPX track – adds the line you've created (in a form of straight segments) to a GPX track of your choice
- Clear all – removes all the points.
You can move any point of your choice (for example, if you've added multiple points and need to relocate one of them, you won't need to undo all the steps – just move that point). To do that, make a tap on a point and select 'Move'. Now drag the map until the point is in place. Press 'Apply'. You can also remove a point by pressing on it and selecting 'Delete'. Remember, you can undo and redo any step using the arrow buttons in the toolbar below.
There's also a convenient option allowing you to add points before or after any of those you've added previously. Just make a tap on a point and select 'Add point after' or 'Add point before'. Drag the map until you find a perfect location for your new point, then tap 'Apply' or tap 'Add' to add more than one point. To exit this menu, tap 'Cancel'.
Along with the functions mentioned, there is also a convenient way to edit your GPX track. Please go to My places-> My tracks-> choose your track-> then press the '+' button and select one of the three options:
- 'Add Line' - adds a straight line (or several straight sections) to your track.
- 'Add Route Points' - adds points that will be the intermediate destinations on the track. To calculate the new route, press 'Add' to add one or several points, then select 'Options'-> 'Snap to road'. After that, select your navigation profile (Car, Bicycle, Pedestrian and other). The new track is ready.
- 'Add Waypoint' - creates separate waypoints that will be added to the track.
After you've done editing, press 'Save'.
You can also measure a distance using radius ruler tool. To exit the measurement mode, please press the 'X' button in the upper-left corner of the screen.
Please see full video guide below: